Meta tags represent HTML tags that are positioned within the ASCII text file of the page of preference after the "Site Title" tag and are framed within the "head" section. These tags are employed by program robots to extract the required information about the outline of the page content, about the way to index it, etc.
Below we'll list the foremost important meta tags and a few of the secondary ones. Nowadays only a couple of them are used, the remainder having no value (many of them were utilized in the start when search engines weren't so advanced).
Types of meta tags, although there are many, only a couple of them are of crucial importance for SEO optimization and proper indexing in search engines. the foremost important meta tags are title and outline, the remainder being optional.
Title tag, although it's not a meta tag, it's generally utilized in combination with a meta description. This HTML tag is visible within the top bar of the browser for instance, once you enter the primary page of our website you see the title "Prosper Design — Web Design Company " generally, the title shouldn't be longer than 70 characters, because Google doesn't display more and everything it exceeds appears with ellipsis.
When the outline tag
Now we start with an authentic meta tag called description. Like its name, it describes the content of a page. for instance, on the primary page we've the subsequent description: "Prosper Design — your web design company that gives you web design services of European quality at Romanian prices".
Meta description is vital for a site, not just for SEO, because a well-written description doesn't really help all the time for a far better positioning on search engines, but only with a correct description you'll attract clicks on your site by the very fact that you simply summarize the content of that page.
The maximum length accepted by Google is 155 characters, everything that exceeds appears with ellipsis.
When the Keywords tag
This meta tag was until 2009 one among the foremost important having an excellent impact on the positioning of a site in search engines. thanks to the very fact that the majority SEO abused this meta tag for better positioning, Google decided to not use it then the opposite search engines followed it.
Currently, it's not considered by search engines, becoming useless for SEO optimization.
Other meta tags
There are others that are optional or not used.
For example: robots, revisit-after, abstract, web author, author, copyright, distribution, expires, google bot, language, no email, rating, reply-to, meta equiv content-type, meta equiv cache-control, meta equiv cookie, meta equiv disposition, meta equiv etc.
Meta tags are the start of most SEO courses. I assumed about exactly the way to introduce this subject because I always hear about meta keywords, which many business owners still attach great importance to.
Being the primary seen by Google crawlers, because the meta tags are within the header of a site, we'll discuss each meta tag separately and therefore the importance of every.
We have divided the meta tags into: meta tags of great importance, meta tags that don't bring anything good to a site and meta tags that are not any longer important and are indifferent whether or not they are within the header or not of a site. You'll notice that the list gets longer and longer as they get to the bad ones.
I haven't been ready to cover all the possible meta tags, but there's a comprehensive resource with all the meta tags that you simply can check if you're curious about everything out there.
It is important to recollect that in 2021, meta tags still matter but not all of them can assist you. I speak from my very own experience and that I think that everybody in SEO would agree, that if you would like to position yourself as high as possible in Google, your meta tags must be amid quality content.
My advice: don't add meta tags you do not need, they take up code space. The less code during a website, the higher.
Good meta tags and of great importance
These meta tags shouldn't be missing from any page of a site you'll notice that it's a brief list, these are the sole ones needed which will assist you the foremost, so if you'll only work with them, please.
- Meta Content Type — This meta tag is required to declare the list for a page and must be present on every page of your site. Some examples are listed below, but your programmer should know best what's needed for your site. This meta tag affects how the page is displayed within the browser.
<meta http-equiv = "Content-Type" content = "text / html; charset = utf-8" />
<meta http-equiv = "Content-Type" content = "text / html; charset = ISO-8859-1">
- Meta Title — It doesn't start with "meta" but is within the header and contains vital information for SEO. you ought to always have a singular title for every page that best describes that page.
- Meta Description — This meta tag is employed for a serious purpose: to explain the page of these who search on Google. This meta tag doesn't influence the ranking within the search results, but it's vital to exist on every page of the location. This determines whether users click on your Google site. Write an outline that draws the users' attention and fits during a maximum of 160 characters.
Viewport - This meta tag helps specify the viewing port of a mobile site. If your site doesn't exist on the pages, you risk having a really poor mobile experience. the quality viewport label is:
<meta name = viewport content = "width = device-width, initial-scale = 1">
Meta indifferent tags
Different sites must use them in certain circumstances, but if you'll avoid them, please do so.
- Social meta tags - we've ignored these social meta tags because OpenGraph and Twitter data are important for content sharing, but not necessary.
- Meta robots - a nasty concept is that you simply need to have meta robots in your pages. To be as clear as possible: If this tag isn't utilized in the pages of a site, Google robots will read the location as an index, follow. If you would like to vary one among these two commands, you want to add this meta tag within the pages of the location. Therefore, if you would like to order no index, but follow the links on the page, you'd add the meta robots code below only with no index, as default.
<meta name = "robots" content = "noindex" />
- Specific bots (Googlebot) - This meta tag is employed to supply specific bot instructions like noodp (forcing you to not use information from your DMOZ listing, which is "dead" anyway) and noydir (same thing, except for information from Yahoo Directory). generally, search engines are excellent at retrieving information, but if you think that you would like it, be happy to use it.
- Language - the sole reason to use this meta tag is that if you've got a world site and you want to declare the language used on the location . Consult this resource with the available languages that you simply can declare.
- Geo - This meta tag is employed and accepted only by Bing, but not by Google. For Google, you'll choose the target country for your site from the Search Console . There are 3 types: placename, position (latitude and longitude), and region.
<META NAME = "geo.position" CONTENT = "latitude; longitude">
<META NAME = "geo.placename" CONTENT = "Place Name">
<META NAME = "geo.region" CONTENT = "Country Subdivision Code">
- Keywords - Yes, I put this meta append the "indifferent" list. Even Google has said that meta keywords are not any longer employed by robots. i like to recommend not using meta keywords when building the location but if it's automated, there's no reason to get rid of it.
- Refresh - This meta tag is taken into account redirecting the poor and will not be used if possible. you ought to always use a 301 redirect from the server.
- Site verification - your site is verified with Google or Bing, right? Who has the meta verification tags on their pages? These are sometimes necessary because you can't verify by another method, but if possible, try another verification method. Google allows you to verify through DNS, external file or by connecting your Google Analytics account. Bing still only allows verification via XML or meta tags, so you'll use them for Bing verification.
Bad meta tags
Nothing bad will happen to your site you employ these meta tags to be as clear as possible from the start . I'm a waste of space, even Google said that 12 years ago. If he's willing to try to to a spring cleaning within the <head> area of your site, it won't take you quite a couple of minutes.
- Author / web author - This meta tag is employed to call the author of the page. it's not necessary to possess it on any page.
- Revised after - This meta tag may be a command to robots to return to a page after a particular period of your time . it's not useful for any program .
- Rating - This meta tag is employed to notice the maturity of the content. it's not necessary to use this tag.
- Expiration / date - “Expiration” is employed to recollect when the page expires, and “date” is that the date the page was created. Do any of your pages expire? Expiration should be faraway from the header and for "data" use an XML sitemap and keep it updated. It's far more useful.
- Copyright - This meta tag shouldn't be utilized in the header as long because it is employed within the footer as "Copyright 20xx".
- Abstract - This meta tag is usually wont to place a summary of the content and is employed mainly through educational activities.
- Distribution - the worth "distribution" is assumed to be wont to control who can access the document, usually set to "global". it's inherently implicit that if the page is open (not password protected), it's intended for the entire world. you are doing not got to use this meta tag.
- Generator - This meta tag is employed to notice which program was wont to create the page. As an "Author", it's useless.
- Cache-control - This meta tag is about within the hope of controlling when and the way often a page is stored within the browser. it's best to try to to this within the HTTP header.
- Resource type - is employed to call the resource sort of the page, like "document". It saves time because the DTD statement does this for you.
Copyright © 2021 Seo4.Ro. All rights reserved.